Although we are not ready to officially Cancel the 2021 BC Open, It is with sadness that we are forced to postpone the 2021 BC Open. Unfortunately, the current Provincial and Regional restrictions still do not allow up to hold our event. With ought any firm timeline that these restrictions will be eased there is no longer enough time to make all the arrangements necessary to run a quality event.
We will be looking into future dates with hopes that we may be able to hold the BC Open in the Fall however the Provincial and Regional restrictions will both have to change significantly for that to happen. As things change, we will update our communications page.
We know that we have been very quiet about announcing any details for the 2021 BC Open and we apologize for this lack of information.
Unfortunately, even though we want to give a more positive update the only thing that we can say is that we are still on a holding pattern waiting for the province to approve competitive sporting events.
We have considered opening up registration so that players can hold their spots and plan forward but we do not want to take anyone’s hard earned money just to have to return it back again if things don't change.
With that said not all is lost and there is a still a bit of time before we have to make a final decision as to whether the BC Open will be able to happen as originally scheduled in 2021. We will continue to plan in the hopes that things will change and we can move forward. However,based on the most recent information, the forecast is more grim than hopeful.
We would like to thank you all for your support and inquiries about playing and/or volunteering your time. We would like to especially thank Innova Disc Golf, PDGA Canada, Raptors Knoll Disc Golf Park and the BCDSS for their continued support of this event should we be able to move forward.
It is with a heavy heart that we are advising that the 2020 BC Open will not be taking place this year.
We have been carefully monitoring all the official announcements about return to sport and competitive play in BC and still feel strongly that disc golf will be one of the first sports to be approved for return to competitive play in BC. The most recent communications from Via Sports stated that the feedback they received from the BC Centre for Disease Control was favorable to BC Disc Sports’ proposed approach to implementing more competitive opportunities and that Via Sport is continuing to work on guidelines. However, it does take time to put together a good event and even more time to put together a great A-Tier event so we have had to look at our time frame and with less than 45 days before our event was set to run we have had to make the hard decision to cancel the 2020 BC Open.
Even though our event was not able to run in 2020 we would like to thank Innova Disc Golf, who would have been our major sponsor, for maintaining its commitment to support our event throughout all the recent uncertainty and we look forward to working with Innova in years to come.
Refunds will be coming over the next few days. We hope to see you all in 2021.
John Gould-Thorpe, Tournament Director
Stewart McIsack, Tournament Director
Before giving some exciting news about the BC Open we first have to say that we are still waiting for official approval to actually hold the BC Open this year in September however…
Since we feel like we have only been posting about delays and limitations lately but, today we want to announce something exciting about the BC Open 2nd course.
You did read that correctly for the next BC Open we not only get to play on the amazing Raptors Knoll course but, with the help of Indesign Disc Golf we are currently building a temporary extended course layout on the wetlands property to the west of Raptors Knoll.
Indesign Disc Golf has now posted a few pictures of some of the work that has already been done. And you can follow them at https://www.facebook.com/indesigndiscgolffor more updates.
Our 2020-09-18 date has now been approved by the PDGA. We are now just waiting on the approval for disc golf events to once again take place in BC. We will update as we know more.
We apologize for being quiet for a long time and not posting any updates as to what is happening with this year’s BC Open. The first thing to mention is that we have extended the full refund date for our event until at least July 10, 2020.
Although we were hopeful that the BC Open could still run in July as originally planned, it has become very clear that holding the BC Open in July will likely not be permitted based on the current regional guidelines. It is however encouraging that many disc golf courses including Raptors Knoll are once again open for casual play with social distancing expectations in place.
After much discussion with the Township of Langley, British Columbia Disc Sport Society, Fraser Health Authority and multiple other organizations, we are feeling positive that we will still be able to hold the BC Open later this year and have moved our focus to September, hopefully with September 18, 2020 as our new date.
This date has not yet been officially approved by our Provincial PDGA coordinator as we still do need to go through the steps outlined by the PDGA on May 14th to have our event officially sanctioned for the new date and this requires the region to issue directives that allow organized competitive sporting events including disc golf to resume.
As an exciting aside to the above information Raptors Knoll Disc Golf Course has never looked better and hundreds more hours of work have been done to the course since last year. If you thought it was great before, you will be amazed this time around as to what has been done.
We will update as we have more information. Wishing that this message finds everyone safe and healthy.
BC Open Team
In light of everything that is happening both around the world and locally here in BC regarding COVID-19, we want to assure everyone that we have not yet invested your entry fees into players’ packages or other event costs at this point. With the news of other big events not being able to return entry fees due to items already having been purchased, there is no need to panic and request a cancellation now as a preventative measure.
Although we are going to continue planning the BC Open and work towards running the best event we can we are not going to spend any of the registration entry fees until we have a much better understanding of how the current situation is unfolding.
We send you our best wishes and hope that you are all safe and healthy.
BC Open Team.
Thank you to all of you who have registered for the BC Open 2020. We are pleased to announce the following:
We are very excited that registration filled up in less than one week. To accommodate those on our waitlist and a few more registrants, we are expanding the field to 276 players. As a result of the strong relationship between the Jackman Wetlands Disc Golf Society and the Township of Langley, a second temporary course will be created on the same property just for the BC Open 2020. We will be building tee pads (likely platforms with artificial turf, but we are exploring other options) for this course which will feature 18 portable Innova PRO 28 baskets.
All players will be playing one round per day on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Of the three rounds, every division will play Raptors Knoll twice, and once on the new Wetlands Course currently being developed specifically for the BC Open 2020. The draft format is tee-times for all divisions on Hole 1 of each course. More information on when and who tees where on which day will be available much closer to the event.
The new Wetlands Course will only be available for practice rounds on July 9th. Any practicing in that area of the property prior to this date will result in disqualification and more importantly, the likelihood of the Wetlands Course being pulled. Could you imagine the consequences of this happening a day or two prior to the BC Open 2020? Please respect this restriction!
We are very excited to announce that Cory Murrell and Coast Central Disc Golf will once again be back in British Columbia to film the MPO feature/lead cards. We considered filming the BC Open 2019 but decided it would be best to wait one more year to allow Raptors Knolls to mature a bit more to make filming on it even better.
We are trying to secure some camping options (all “DRY” camping). However, please do not count on this. If we can secure something we will announce the details as soon as feasible.
For today, that is all. Hopefully more announcements coming soon with respect to sponsors who are getting involved in this event!
The BC Open 2020 took just over 6 days to fill up. We now have 80 Pro's and 152 Amateurs registered. The wait list is now open and growing. We will continue to monitor the wait list to determine the need for more spots. We are working on options that will accommodate as many people as our venue can facilitate.
Although it took a little longer than we expected to get all the details worked out, we are please to announce that registration for the BC Open 2020 will go live on Feb 18th at 6:00 pm PST.
We received a lot of great feedback from BC Open 2019 and we have taken these thoughts and comments into consideration while planning for 2020. We hope you like our improvements.
Don’t wait too long to register. We expect to have an even larger registration this year than last.
We have taken the first steps once again hold the BC Open for 2020. Our event has been added to the A Tier list and the timing looks good to possibly attract a few touring pros this year. With Beaver State on Jun 26-28, DGPT - Portland Open July 3-5 and then BC Open July 10-12 the timing couldn't be better for people to keep heading north!
As with any large event we are looking for sponsors and volunteers to make it even better this year If you know of anyone that would like to be involved we would love to speak to them Please get them to contact us at the link below.
Although the tournament is complete our work is still not over. This week we will be sending all of our all prize and payouts to players that have won something at the BC Open. In addition to all the volunteers that have been on the course during out event helping out Thank You so much! Your Volunteer thank you Packs are currently being put together and we will get them to you as soon as we can.
We will be putting a more detailed letter / post together with details about the finances and the event later this week.
If anyone has any questions please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org and I will respond as soon as I can. Any messages sent via social media and other methods will also be responded to but they may take longer.
Also Mikee Kiesz was out again on Sunday to take some more photos for us and has graciously provided the link for free downloads. Thank you so much Mikee.
1. Will I be playing from the same tee pads all 3 days?
Yes each Division will be playing from the same tee pads Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
2. Will the Basket locations be changed during the tournament?
No the Baskets will remain in the same position for the whole weekend.
3. If I can't make check in on Thursday how do I check in.
If you can't make Thursday please show up at least 30 min before your posted tee time to Check in.
4. Where is check in ?
You can check in at Raptors knoll Disc Golf park at tournament central near the Ace Runners Tents.
5. When is the players meeting?
We have created a digital players meeting that can be watched at https://youtu.be/eAiMhkeYvdQ
6. Can you step on the front of the Tee Pads?
You must release your throw before stepping on the painted front 2 feet of the tee pad.
7. Where will our score cards be.
There will be a starter at your starting hole that will provide you with your scorecards.
Happy Canada Day to Everyone.
With only a few more days to go until the first players tee off at the BC Open 2019 Driven by Innova, we wanted to reach out with a few reminders and the following information:
We would again like to Thank Our sponsors for the BC Open 2019
Innova Disc Golf
Raptors Knoll Disc Golf Park
US Disc Golf Championship
Fulton & Co.
On Top Roofing
B.C. Disc Sports
The Cook Boyz
We have uploaded a very rough site map that gives you an overview of where things will be located during the event to the Caddy book section of the web page.
Thank you for registering for the 2019 BC Open. We apologize for taking so long to send out an update about BC Open but we have been busy finishing the new Raptors Knoll Disc Golf Park. With just over 2 weeks to go the course is looking wonderful with all our major projects now complete and we are just finishing up some final tasks including the tee signs. The signs are being printed now and should be installed just in time for BC Open.
Many registrants have asked for information regarding which tee pads and pin placements they will be playing. To keep it fair for all participants, we will not be releasing the official tournament map until June 28, one week prior to the tournament. At this time the course will be adjusted to the tournament layout.
When we release the official tournament map, we will also do an online course review going over the details of the course – Out of Bounds, Hazards, Mandos, drop zones, etc.
A reminder that 7:00 a.m. on June 21, 2019 is the cancellation deadline for a full refund and 7:00 a.m. on June 28 is the cancellation deadline for a 50% refund.
There is currently only one permanent washroom facility on site at Raptors Knoll (pit toilet style) located close to hole 6’s teepads. For the BC Open, porta potties will be available at various locations on site.
There is no running water on site so please bring lots of water with you. We will be providing limited water to help keep our players hydrated during the tournament rounds.
For our out of town players, most amenities (lodging, restaurants, and groceries) are located within 5 minutes of the course in Aldergrove.
This is no onsite camping and the Park Gates open at dawn and close at dusk.
We look forward to seeing you all in July.
BC Open Early Registration - 12PM Tomorrow
Reminder that tomorrow the early bird registration for amenity sponsors opens high noon. Historically, we have opened registration for hole sponsors early, however, this year's event is being held at Raptors Knoll Disc Golf Park and many community members, clubs, and individuals invested $1000 in the project for that recognition. We do not want to mitigate their investment by selling additional hole sponsors at this event.
As such, your $100 Amenity Sponsorship will be put towards Free Water, Snacks, Washroom Facilities, and Tents. Ultimately, the money is going to help support the BC Open in the same manner and will make this year's event even stronger. There are only 20 sponsorship spots available. The contribution will be recognized at the event, in the caddy-book, on the social media channels and on our website.
General Registration without the mandatory sponsorship will open Feb 4th at high noon - exactly 1 week later.
Copyright © 2021 BC Open - All Rights Reserved.